The Association of Health Care Journalists has awarded more than 100 fellowships to help journalists attend its annual conference, Health Journalism 2013. The fellowship recipients are:
2013 AHCJ-California Health Journalism Fellowships
Congratulations to our AHCJ-California Health Journalism fellows. We were able to support these fellows this year thanks to funding from The California HealthCare Foundation.
- Lisa Aliferis, health editor, KQED-San Francisco
- Cheryl Clark, senior quality editor, HealthLeaders Media, San Diego
- Cynthia Craft, senior writer, The Sacramento Bee
- Robert Fulton, independent journalist, Los Angeles
- Anna Gorman, staff writer, Los Angeles Times
- Lori Houston, editor, Pacific Health Magazine, Santa Rosa
- Shuka Kalantari, health outreach coordinator, KQED-San Francisco
- Katherine Kam, independent journalist, San Francisco
- Mina Kim, health reporter, KQED-San Francisco
- Lisa Krieger, health reporter, San Jose Mercury News
- Stephanie O’Neill, health care reporter, KPCC-Los Angeles
- Millicent Ozdaglar, special projects manager, KCRA-Sacramento
- Colleen Paretty, executive editor, WebMD Magazine
- Gerri Shaftel Constant, medical producer, KTTV-Los Angeles
- Ron Shinkman, editor, Payers & Providers, Burbank
- Paul Sisson, staff writer, Union Tribune (San Diego)
- Paul Tullis, independent journalist, Los Angeles
- Jocelyn Wiener, independent journalist, Oakland
- Lisa Zamosky, independent journalist, Los Angeles
- Janet Zimmerman, reporter, The Press-Enterprise, Riverside
2013 AHCJ-Colorado Health Journalism Fellowships
Congratulations to our AHCJ-Colorado Health Journalism fellows. We were able to support these fellows this year thanks to funding from The Colorado Health Foundation.
- Pat Ferrier, reporter, Fort Collins Coloradoan
- Katie McCrimmon, health reporter, Solutions
- Kevin Vaughan, senior reporter, I-News Network, Denver
- Eric Whitney, health reporter, Colorado Public Radio, Centennial
2013 AHCJ-Missouri Health Journalism Fellowships
Congratulations to our AHCJ-Missouri Health Journalism fellows. We were able to support these fellows this year thanks to funding from The Missouri Foundation for Health.
- Blythe Bernhard, reporter, St. Louis Post-Dispatch
- Lola Butcher, independent journalist, Springfield
- Jim Doyle, reporter, St. Louis Post-Dispatch
- Elana Gordon, health reporter, KCUR-Kansas City
- Melinda Hemmelgarn, independent journalist, Columbia
- Olivia Ingle, reporter, News Tribune, Jefferson City
- Sandra Jordan, health reporter, St. Louis American
- Meryl McKean, health reporter, WDAF-Kansas City
- Shannon Miller, anchor/reporter, KOLR-Springfield
- Lekan Oguntoyinbo, independent journalist, Columbia
- Sarah Okeson, reporter, Springfield News-Leader
- Katherine Reed, health editor, The (Columbia) Missourian
- Alan Scher Zagier, reporter, The Associated Press
- Rebecca Smith, student, Truman State University
- Abbey Sussell, student, University of Missouri
- Tracy Tabb, managing editor, AOA News
2013 AHCJ-New York Health Journalism Fellowships
Congratulations to our AHCJ-New York Health Journalism fellows. We were able to support these fellows this year thanks to funding from the New York State Health Foundation.
- Julie Andrews, independent journalist, New York
- Kaitlin Barnett, independent journalist, Brooklyn
- Rita Baron-Faust, independent journalist, Brooklyn
- Tracey Drury, reporter, Buffalo Business First
- Benjamin Eisler, health producer, CBS News, New York
- Marcie Fraser, health reporter, YNN-Albany
- Jane Lerner, staff writer, The (Rockland) Journal News
- Christine Livoti, senior writer, BioPharm Insight
- Desiree Robinson, producer/host, WBAI-Corona
- Alysia Santo, reporter, The Albany Times Union
- Andrew Seaman, medical journalist, Reuters Health, New York
- Liz Seegert, independent journalist, New York
- Celia Seupel, independent journalist, New York
- Curtis Skinner, reporter, The New York World
- Jessica Soule, reporter, The Skaneateles Journal
- Gayle Williams, deputy editor, Consumer Reports, White Plains
2013 AHCJ-Rhode Island Health Journalism Fellowships
Congratulations to our AHCJ-Rhode Island Health Journalism fellows. We were able to support these fellows this year thanks to funding from The Rhode Island Foundation.
- Lynn Arditi, staff writer, The Providence Journal
- Richard Asinof, contributing writer, health care, The Providence Business News
- Philip Marcelo, state house reporter, The Providence Journal
- Erika Niedowski, reporter, The Associated Press
- Janine Weisman, editor, Newport Mercury
2013 AHCJ-Ethnic Media Health Journalism Fellowships
Congratulations to our AHCJ-Ethnic Media Health Journalism fellows. We were able to support these fellows this year thanks to funding from The Leona M. and Harry B. Helmsley Charitable Trust.
- Lucia Anaya, assistant editor, The Gate Newspaper (Chicago)
- Linnie Bailey, magazine editor, Valley Life Today (Corona, Calif.)
- Andrea Collier, independent journalist, Lansing, Mich.
- Charles Ding, deputy chief reporter, Singtao Daily News
- Patricia Guadalupe, editor, Hispanic Link News Service
- Kimberly Hayes Taylor, editor, B.L.A.C. Magazine
- Lottie Joiner, senior editor, The Crisis
- Santiago Lucero, reporter and anchor, Univision 19-Sacramento
- Alma Martinez, associate producer, Radio Bilingue, Fresno, Calif.
- Dori Maynard, president/CEO, Maynard Institute for Journalism Education, Oakland, Calif.
- Monica Navarro, medical reporter and producer, KWEX-San Antonio
- Wynfred Russell, reporter, Peppersoup, Brooklyn Park, Minn.
- Adriana Sanchez, reporter, El Grito, Albuquerque, N.M.
- Yvelette Stines, independent journalist, Detroit
- Yvonne Valdez, editor and health writer, El Sentinel, Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
- Yurina Valiulis, public health reporter, La Opinion, Los Angeles
2013 AHCJ-Healthier Beat Fellowships
Congratulations to our AHCJ-Healthier Beat fellows. This program, aimed at better training reporters in covering the health aspects of non-health beats, was supported this year by The Leona M. and Harry B. Helmsley Charitable Trust.
- Sally Abrahms, independent journalist, Brookline, Mass.
- Jacob Barker, business reporter, Columbia (Mo.) Daily Tribune
- Paula Burkes, business writer, The Oklahoman (Oklahoma City)
- Priyanka Dayal McCluskey, business reporter, Worcester (Mass.) Telegram & Gazette
- Angie Drobnic Holan, staff writer, Tampa Bay Times
- Jason Hidalgo, business reporter, Reno (Nev.) Gazette-Journal
- Sarah Janssen, education reporter, The Journal Gazette (Fort Wayne, Ind.)
- Lacey McLaughlin, features writer, The Daytona (Fla.) Beach News-Journal
- Phyllis Zorn, reporter, Enid (Okla.) News and Eagle
2013 AHCJ-Rural Health Journalism Fellowships
Congratulations to our AHCJ-Rural Health Journalism fellows. We were able to support these fellows this year thanks to funding from The Leona M. and Harry B. Helmsley Charitable Trust.
- Constance Alexander, independent journalist, Murray, Ky.
- Kylie Bearse, reporter, KIFI-Idaho Falls, Idaho
- Kristen Consillio, business reporter, Honolulu Star-Advertiser
- Coshandra Dillard, health editor, Tyler (Texas) Morning Telegraph
- Larry Dreiling, senior field editor, High Plains Journal (Hays, Kan.)
- Antonio Flores-Lobos, editor, Las Noticias (Kingston, N.Y.)
- Laurence Hammack, reporter, The Roanoke (Va.) Times
- Amy Jeter, staff writer, The Virginian-Pilot (Norfolk, Va.)
- Lori Kersey, staff writer, The Charleston (W.Va.) Gazette
- Jeannette Moninger, independent journalist, Highlands Ranch, Colo.
- Keldy Ortiz, health reporter, Victoria (Texas) Advocate
- Bruce Robinson, news director, KRCB-Rohnert Park, Calif.
- Grace Rubenstein, independent journalist, Sacramento, Calif.
- Kelsey Ryan, health reporter, The Wichita (Kan.) Eagle
- Sanjay Talwani, reporter, (Helena, Mont.) Independent Record
- Cindy Uken, health care reporter, Billings (Mont.) Gazette
- Bobby Warren, general assignment reporter, The (Wooster, Ohio) Daily Record
- Joshua Wolfson, reporter, Casper (Wyo.) Star-Tribune
- JoAnne Young, reporter, Lincoln (Neb.) Journal Star