More about open records
News articles about open records or that used public records
- FOIA requests pile up without response at FDA (June 19, 2007)
- Mammogram centers operate despite serious inspection violations (Nov. 11, 2008)
- Medical school keeps chancellor search private (Sept. 10, 2008)
- Medical negligence cases among those sealed by Okla. courts (Aug. 12, 2008)
- Surgery death rates going public in U.K. (June 29, 2008)
- Iowa hospital must disclose payroll information, judge says (May 14, 2008)
- Problems at Merck plant cited by FDA inspectors (May 3, 2008)
- Airlines delay testing of onboard water (Feb. 20, 2008)
- Bill to improve FOIA response goes to Bush (Dec. 20, 2007)
- Wis. official: HIPAA rules don't apply to ambulance dispatch records (Oct. 3, 2007)
- Court decision could open up data on doctors (Aug. 30, 2007)
- N.C. press fighting to open hospital administrator records (July 31, 2007)
- Paramedics putting patients at risk (March 27, 2007)
- Nonprofits spend millions in secret (March 27, 2007)
- Sealed lawsuit hides danger to patients (March 9, 2007)
- Review of 2007 FOIA amendments (Jan. 24, 2008)
- Status report shows HHS backlog of FOIA responses grows (Dec. 20, 2007)
- Does Court Secrecy Undermine Public Health and Safety? (Dec. 17, 2007)
Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press: This nonprofit organization provides resources on free speech issues, including a quarterly legal review, a bi-weekly newsletter, a 24-hour hotline, and handbooks on media law issues.
- RCFP's Federal Open Government Guide
- RCFP's State-by-state Open Government Guide
- RCFP's FOIA letter generator
HIPAA and Newsgathering: Basic Tips for Reporters and Editors from Davis Wright Tremaine LLP law firm
National Security Archive, an independent non-governmental research institute and library based at George Washington University, has a great deal of information about FOIA, including how to use it, sample requests and appeals, noteworthy news stories made possible by FOIA documents, audits and more.
Public Citizen, a national nonprofit consumer advocacy organization, offers links for the online submission of FOIA requests tof federal agencies.
The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services FOI site lists its offices and agencies and how to obtain information from them.