On the issue of costs, Saturday morning’s session on “Bending the Cost Curve: The Social Determinants of Health” will look at how tackling social determinants of health can help lower costs and improve health, particularly when it comes to health care systems such as hospitals and other networks.
Later on Saturday, Meals on Wheels President and CEO Ellie Hollander will deliver the keynote address at AHCJ’s annual awards luncheon. Her remarks come as the program, which provides daily food deliveries to seniors, veterans and the disabled, faces potential budget cuts under the Trump administration. (AHCJ’s Liz Seegert has already offered some possible story ideas and questions regarding the issue.)
Other panels that should be on the “to do” list for #AHCJ17 attendees interested in covering social determinants of health include:
- Thursday at 11:15 a.m.: “Science of Stress.”
- Thursday at 5:30 p.m.: Kickoff Roundtable: “Violence as a Public Health Emergency.”
- Three great choices on Friday at 9 a.m.: “Caring for Transgender Patients” or “Telehealth: Will it Transform the Way Care is Delivered” or “Birth and Death: Maternal Mortality in America.”
- Two choices on Friday at 10:40 a.m.: “Covering Addiction Recovery;” or “Why the Social Worker May Be the MVP of the Clinic.”
- Friday at 1:40 p.m., “Do Workplace Wellness Incentives Work?”
- Check out either of these on Friday at 4:20 p.m.: “Beyond Medicine: Social, Spiritual and Artistic Elements in Health Care” or “The Science of Toxic Stress.”
- Saturday at 10:40 a.m.: “Cops, Courts, Jails, Prisons and the Mentally Ill” or “Nutrition and the Evolving American Diet.”
- Two good choices for Saturday at 3 p.m.: “Covering Mass Domestic Violence” or “New Health Challenges for Refugees and Undocumented Immigrants.”
- Saturday at 4:40 p.m.: What’s Ahead for Medicaid” or “The Latest Look at Obesity.”
For those who go, please use #AHCJ17 #SDOH hashtags to share your observations, ideas and other comments.