AHCJ has sponsored 12 journalists to take part in a two-day workshop at the CDC about covering seasonal influenza and the A-H1N1 flu virus, now grabbing the headlines.
The workshop, taking place today and tomorrow, includes a series of on-the-record sessions with CDC experts to prepare front-line journalists for the upcoming flu season. Public health experts are providing a primer on the flu, examine how it is being tracked, expectations for vaccines and antivirals, and what communities can do to deal with the fallout.
On Monday, HHS Secretary Kathleen Sebelius, joined by CDC director Thomas R. Frieden, was a surprise addition to the schedule.
The AHCJ-sponsored journalists are:
- Erin Allday, San Francisco Chronicle
- Ran An, China Newsweek
- Kim Archer, Tulsa World
- Lorna Benson, Minnesota Public Radio
- Blythe Bernhard, St. Louis Post-Dispatch
- Don Finley, San Antonio Express-News
- Jeff Hansel, Rochester Post-Bulletin
- Sandra Jordan, St. Louis American
- Alma Martinez, Radio Bilingue
- Pohla Smith, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
- Fred Tasker, The Miami Herald
- Eric Whitney, Colorado Public Radio