GAO: Focus on influenza pandemic planning and preparedness
This Government Accountability Office report looks for a sustained "focus on the nation's planning and preparedness efforts" for a possible influenza pandemic. It follows up on past GAO pandemic reports and finds that 13 of 23 GAO recommendations have been implemented.
Other findings, taken from the report summary:
- Leadership roles and responsibilities need to be clarified and tested, and coordination mechanisms could be better utilized.
- Efforts are underway to improve the surveillance and detection of pandemic-related threats, but targeting assistance to countries at the greatest risk has been based on incomplete information.
- Pandemic planning and exercising has occurred, but planning gaps remain.
- Further actions are needed to address the capacity to respond to and recover from an influenza pandemic.
- Federal agencies have provided considerable guidance and pandemic-related information, but could augment their efforts.
- Performance monitoring and accountability for pandemic preparedness needs strengthening.