Career Development: Job Postings
Job type: Freelance Position
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Position: Communications Writer
Organization: Stand Up To Cancer
Date posted: 06/29/20
About Stand Up To Cancer:
Stand Up To Cancer (SU2C) raises funds to accelerate the pace of research to get new therapies to patients quickly and save lives now. SU2C, a division of the Entertainment Industry Foundation (EIF), a 501(c)(3) charitable organization, was established in 2008 by film and media leaders who utilize the industry’s resources to engage the public in supporting a new, collaborative model of cancer research, and to increase awareness about cancer prevention as well as progress being made in the fight against the disease. The SU2C Scientific Advisory Committee led by Nobel Laureate Phillip A. Sharp, PhD conducts rigorous, competitive review processes to identify the best research proposals to recommend for funding, oversee grants administration, and provide expert review of research progress. To date, SU2C has funded 26 of its signature “Dream Teams” among a total of 108 team science grants, as well as 49 grants to individual researchers. SU2C research has contributed to FDA approval of eight new therapies for breast, colorectal, ovarian, pancreatic, prostate and difficult to treat blood cancers.
Current members of the SU2C Council of Founders and Advisors (CFA) include Katie Couric, Sherry Lansing, Lisa Paulsen, Rusty Robertson, Sue Schwartz, Pamela Oas Williams, Ellen Ziffren, and Kathleen Lobb. The late Laura Ziskin and the late Noreen Fraser are also co-founders. Sung Poblete, PhD, RN, has served as SU2C’s CEO since 2011.
Position is temporary with the organization’s option to extend as needed. Candidates based in either Los Angeles or New York will be considered.
The Communications Writer reports to the head of Communications and will be responsible for writing and editing content for both external and internal audiences, based on information gathering, as well as collaboration with applicable individuals/departments. The ideal candidate will have a strong interest in science and healthcare, with previous experience requiring an understanding of medical and life sciences terminology, and the ability to quickly grasp and translate complex scientific issues to tell a story in simple, straightforward, consumer-facing language.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Responsible for the effective development and delivery of a wide range of communications for internal and external audiences.
• Write and edit content concerning a variety of topics that involve SU2C and its community, its work and functions, through press releases, messaging, talking points, op-eds, speeches, and other materials, as required.
• Collaborates with other departments to foster efficient, consistent and timely communications.
• Drive the creation of original concepts that result in effective and compelling communication.
• Understand different language styles that appeal to various target markets, including: consumer, corporate, scientific, patients/caregivers/advocates and multi-cultural including black, Hispanic and Asian.
• Ensures all materials meet internal and external legal standards and follows appropriate SU2C standards and guidelines.
• Maintain a clear and consistent brand voice that effectively represents SU2C internally and externally.
• Perform other related duties as assigned or required.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Journalism, Communications or English required.
• A minimum of 7 years-experience writing for the private or public sector.
• Exceptionally strong writing/editing and verbal communications skills.
Other Skills and Abilities:
• Ability to multi-task and problem solve while maintaining extreme attention to detail.
• Capability to take direction and be flexible while working both independently and with others.
• Excellent judgment.
• The ability to prioritize multiple tasks as they are presented. The ability to work in a fast paced, deadline-driven environment and refocus as the job and situations demand.
• The ability to work within a team and establish strong working relationships with individuals of diverse backgrounds and abilities.
• Ability to operate standard computer software applications including Microsoft Office, Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
Send resumes to: email@example.com
Click here for additional information.