Career Development: Job Postings
Job type: Full-time Position
Location: Grnd Forks, ND
Position: Web Writer - 2 positions available
Organization: Rural Health Information Hub, UND Center for Rural Health
Date posted: 07/28/16
The Center for Rural Health (CRH) at the University of North Dakota is seeking experienced and talented applicants to serve as the Web Writer for the Rural Health Information Hub (https://www.ruralhealthinfo.org/), a federally-funded web-based information center dealing with rural health issues.
The position will write profiles of rural programs to be included in the online Rural Health Models and Innovations, https://www.ruralhealthinfo.org/community-health/project-examples. Includes identifying potential models and collaborating with program contacts. Assist with dissemination and promotion of the Rural Health Models and Innovations and individual project examples through social media and other channels. Write occasional short human interest companion pieces for the Rural Monitor, an online publication.
The Web Writer will collaborate with program management, the funding agency, and partner organizations to plan and develop content for the Rural Community Health Gateway, https://www.ruralhealthinfo.org/community-health. Will write, manage, and maintain the section’s content; work with graphic designer and web team to plan layout, visual elements, and user experience; and review evidence-based toolkits developed by partners, making sure that standards are met. In addition, the position will occasionally write content for other sections of the Rural Health Information Hub website and blog, as well as help other staff with copy editing.
Works in a fast-paced environment, meeting deadlines and achieving project objectives. The web writer must collaborate effectively with project staff to meet shared goals and be dedicated to quality work. Applicant selected must demonstrate excellent interpersonal and communication skills; strong organizational skills, analytical problem solving, and decision-making skills; ability to prioritize, multi-task, and to work as part of a team; must possess a high level of attention-to-detail; ability to take initiative, be self-directed, and to generate timely work products. Ability to travel occasionally, both in-state and nationally.
This position uses their ability to synthesize complicated information from multiple sources into cohesive and plain language. Additionally, they will use their excellent writing skills, with demonstrated ability to write for the web.
This position will use their knowledge of rural health issues on a daily basis. This position will use their knowledge of format, layout, and design principles of electronic and print publications. Demonstrating leadership skills will be a key component of this position.
The following required writing samples must be attached to application. Please contact Maren Niemeier at (701) 777-8001 with questions.
• Sample web page copy (not an article) that uses web-writing best practices to convey information on a topic with which the applicant is familiar, 250-500 words.
• An email written in a professional style to request an interview with a potential program contact for the Rural Health Models and Innovations.
• A 2-5 page article written in a style appropriate for a magazine, newsletter, or blog.
• Bachelor's degree in English, communications, journalism; will consider other degrees with direct writing experience.
Experience doing research and conducting interviews to inform articles.
• Strong computer skills needed.
• Valid driver’s license.
• Experience or training with social media strategy.
• Experience writing for a national audience.
• Experience working with a content management system and basic HTML.
• Experience working with state or national organizations.