Career Development: Job Postings
Job type: Full-time Position
Location: Boston, MA
Position: STAT - Equity Editor
Organization: Boston Globe Media Partners
Date posted: 03/08/23
In November 2015, STAT was launched as a new global media brand focused on health, medicine, and life sciences. Since then, we have grown to be the authoritative and trustworthy news media source for tough-minded coverage of the business of making medicines, health tech, science, and public health. We produce daily news, investigative articles, and narrative projects in addition to multimedia features, podcasts, and opinion pieces. Our team of editors and reporters have won numerous journalism awards, including being named as a 2021 Pulitzer finalist. STAT is affiliated with Boston Globe Media Partners but is independent from The Boston Globe.
STAT is looking for an experienced and versatile editor to drive our efforts to be the most diverse media company covering the life sciences and health care, and help guide coverage of issues at the intersection of race and science and medicine. This person would fill a key role on the editing team, participating in editorial decision-making, building our team of journalists, and supervising reporters. Applicants should have experience in editing, as well as a deep passion for championing diversity and equity in journalism and science and health.
STAT prides itself on a collaborative spirit, flexibility, and a willingness to innovate, and we are looking for those skills in this editor. Also essential: fidelity to bedrock journalistic values and a commitment to excellence.
What You’ll Do
- Lead recruitment efforts, further developing our pipelines to foster more diversity across our company, and lead the selection of Sharon Begley science reporting fellows and interns.
- Supervise and edit reporters.
- Participate in daily news meetings where editors decide on coverage.
- Work with reporters and other editors to raise our ambitions even further on stories about racism in medicine, including exploring the ways racial and ethnic inequities in care persist, and the consequences for patients.
- Work across the newsroom to make sure that our stories, podcasts, videos, and opinion pieces incorporate an array of voices that reflect the diversity of our nation.
- Work with the head of community to further our diversity goals in our annual national awards programs, including STAT Wunderkinds, STAT Madness, and the STATUS List.
- Build strong relationships with a broad range of journalists throughout the industry, and across the worlds of science and health.
- Play a public role in promoting diversity at STAT by appearing on panels, moderating at our events, and traveling to attend job fairs and other opportunities for outreach.
- Coordinate with our social media and marketing teams to encourage them to reach and engage with diverse communities.
- Serve as managerial liaison to STAT’s Diversity and Inclusion Committee, working with the committee and our outside diversity consultant to champion initiatives in our journalism and in our company culture (such as staff training).
Who You Are
- At least five years experience in daily journalism, including a track record as a successful editor and manager.
- A background in, and demonstrated passion for, working to achieve equity, diversity and inclusion in previous roles.
- An ability to make sure our coverage is accessible as well as authoritative.
- A talent for moving beyond commodity news stories, pressing for fresh angles, and embracing multimedia and all forms of digital storytelling.
- An entrepreneurial spirit and passion for collaborating with reporters and editing colleagues, and a willingness to experiment and to dip in on many roles.
- Experience with health care, science, or business topics is a plus.
- A willingness to adapt and be audience focused, with a curious mindset and a commitment to creating an inclusive work environment
The minimum salary for this position is $90,000. We offer a competitive benefits package, including health insurance, a 401k plan, generous vacation, parental leave, and more. We also provide Care.com back-up care and have numerous wellness offerings, including free access to HeadSpace for all full-time employees.
The STAT office is located in downtown Boston, nearby Faneuil Hall and Quincy Market, and is easily accessible by MBTA and commuter rail lines. We prefer that this editor be based at our headquarters in downtown Boston but will consider candidates who would work remotely. We have colleagues in the organization that come into the office on a regular basis and colleagues that are based in various cities throughout the U.S.
How to Apply
Interested in this job? If so, we’d love to hear from you. Please submit a resume and cover letter addressed to Laura Chang, editorial director, and Gideon Gil, managing editor.
In your resume and/or cover letter, please feel free to note which pronouns you use (For example – she/her/hers, he/him/his, they/them/theirs, etc.).
We know that there are strong candidates who may not fit precisely into what we’ve described above or who have important skills we haven’t thought of. If that’s you, don’t hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself.
STAT is committed to building a diverse and inclusive workplace. We strive to create a culture that encourages, supports, and celebrates all voices. A staff that reflects the world around us makes for better — and more accurate — journalism