Career Development: Job Postings
Job type: Full-time Position
Location: Buffalo, NY
Position: News Content Manager
Organization: University at Buffalo
Date posted: 02/21/23
Thirsty for new knowledge?
Ready to join a creative and collaborative office that plays a key role advancing the reputation of one of the nation’s top public research universities?
If so, University Communications has two full-time openings – News Content Managers on its media relations team – that we invite you to apply for.
In this role, you will work with some of the world’s top scholars, awe-inspiring students and deeply committed administrators and staff members to help the University at Buffalo tell its story to Western New York, the nation and the world. These openings will focus on science and technology, health and medicine, and the university’s economic development initiatives, among other areas.
Primary duties include:
• Writing and strategically sharing accurate and timely news content – specifically, news releases, faculty expert tip sheets and multimedia content – to external and internal audiences.
• Acting as a trusted advisor to deans, professors, students and other members of the university community.
• Proactively working with regional, national and international media to help build UB’s reputation as a top public research university that’s committed to educational excellence, cutting-edge research and community service.
The ideal candidates will be self-starters who keep close tabs on local, national and international news, as well as the evolving digital news media landscape. Candidates should be true believers in the goals and mission of public education – particularly as they pertain to advancing diversity, equity and inclusion – and able to calibrate their tone and language to engage various audiences, as well as be an absolute stickler for detail.
Outstanding Benefits Package
Working at UB comes with benefits that exceed salary alone. There are personal rewards including comprehensive health and retirement plan options. We also focus on creating and sustaining a healthy mix of work, personal and academic pursuit – all in an effort to support your work-life effectiveness. Visit our benefits website to learn about our benefit packages.
About The University at Buffalo
The University at Buffalo (UB) #ubuffalo is one of America’s leading public research universities and a flagship of the State University of New York system, recognized for our excellence and our impact. UB is a premier, research-intensive public university dedicated to academic excellence. Our research, creative activity and people positively impact the world. Like the city we call home, UB is distinguished by a culture of resilient optimism, resourceful thinking and pragmatic dreaming that enables us to reach others every day. Visit our website to learn more about the University at Buffalo.
University at Buffalo is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and, in keeping with our commitment, welcomes all to apply including veterans and individuals with disabilities.
• Bachelor’s degree.
• 3 years of full-time experience as a professional communicator in higher-education, agency, corporate, non-profit or news media settings.
• Significant experience developing content for news and web communications, researching stories, and interviewing subjects.
• Must have significant writing experience, experience with web technologies, and excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Experience working strategically and independently.
• An equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered.
• Preferred major or concentration: Journalism, English, Communications, or Public Relations.
• Social Media experience preferred.
Apply now through UB Jobs: https://www.ubjobs.buffalo.edu/postings/40722