Career Development: Job Postings
Job type: Full-time Position
Location: Itasca, IL
Position: Director, Member News
Organization: American Academy of Pediatrics
Date posted: 01/30/23
The nation’s leading advocacy organization for children’s healthcare, the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP), seeks an excellent writer and editor to create and oversee communications strategy for member news and updates and collaborate with other directors to align strategies, tactics, and messages.
As Editor in Chief of AAP News, the official newsmagazine of the AAP, this person will oversee and manage all business operations, staff, and functions related to editorial content and production of digital and print editions, advertising, printing, and marketing, as well as ensure editorial, advertising, and print production deadlines are met.
Qualified candidates will possess:
• Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, English, or related field required.
• At least five years’ experience in senior editing for a large circulation publication, preferably with a health care organization.
• Must have experience in reporting and news writing, preferably in the health care or associated fields, and thorough knowledge of publication production and AP style. Experience as a Managing Editor highly desirable.
• Excellent decision making, critical thinking, negotiation, organizational, written/verbal communication, editing, interpersonal, budget oversight, project management, and leadership skills required.
• Must be able to manage multiple priorities simultaneously within strict deadlines, assimilate large volumes of information quickly, work both independently and as part of a team, think creatively, pay attention to detail, collaborate effectively with various internal and external constituents, and promote and maintain a positive and cooperative team-orientated work environment with a commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion.
• Strong technical acumen with proficiency in content management systems, social media and MS Office, familiarity with databases, and the ability to learn and apply new technologies; experience with document collaboration platforms (e.g., SharePoint) and virtual meeting platforms (e.g., WebEx, Teams) preferred.
• Some travel and weekend work required, as well as the ability to be flexible with work schedule to accommodate physicians’ availability and deadlines.
Why work for the AAP?
• Flexible hours and a focus on work/life balance.
• State-of-the-art building equipped with standing desks, treadmill desks, cycle desks, on-site fitness center, and on-site exercise classes.
• An on-site cafeteria with food costs that are subsidized by AAP.
• Strong focus on mental health and wellness.
• Tuition reimbursement.
• Competitive PTO and sick leave.
• Excellent parental benefits, including adoption assistance.
• A full list of benefits can be found here (https://downloads.aap.org/DOHRAS/BenefitsAtAAP.pdf).
Hybrid work environment of 40% of work time in the office per month.
All AAP employees must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Requests for a medical or religious accommodation in regard to this vaccination can be submitted for consideration upon an offer of employment.
To learn more about the organization, see a full job description, and/or apply for the position, please visit https://www.aap.org/employment.
The AAP offers an excellent work environment, competitive salary, and a comprehensive benefits package. As a reaffirmation to our employee-focused culture, since 2005 the AAP has been named one of the 101 Best and Brightest Companies to Work for in the Chicagoland area. Additionally, we are an Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities, Females, Individuals with Disabilities, and Veterans that values the strength diversity brings to our workplace.
Reasonable Accommodation: Individuals with a disability in need of a reasonable accommodation regarding the job application process may call 630-626-6297. Please note, only those inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will receive a response.