Career Development: Job Postings
Job type: Full-time Position
Location: New York, NY
Position: Summer Art Intern, Quanta
Organization: Simons Foundation
Date posted: 01/11/23
160 Fifth Avenue
Quanta Magazine is looking for a motivated art and design intern for the summer of 2023. This is an outstanding opportunity for a beginning designer to learn about editorial design, illustration and photography, infographics and web production while developing real-world skills at a dynamic digital magazine centered on the world of science. The intern will receive training and mentoring from the art team and the magazine editors and will potentially leave with portfolio pieces.
This paid internship has a 32 hour-per-week minimum requirement and can be full-time. It will take place on-site at the Simons Foundation offices in New York City from June through August.
• Assist the art director with art and photography research; contact scientists and press officers to track down images to illustrate articles, blog posts and other features.
• Assist the graphics editor with research for infographics.
• Assist the web producer with miscellaneous tasks.
• Depending on the candidate's skills: develop illustrations, infographics and layouts.
• Perform any other duties or tasks as assigned or required.
• Candidates should be working toward a degree in art/design.
• A portfolio in one or more of the following: Graphic design, digital illustration, infographics and data visualization, animation.
• Proficiency in Illustrator and Photoshop.
• A strong interest in science and math is a big plus.
• Must be detail-oriented, deadline-driven and highly organized and demonstrate high standards in written English and visual communication.
• Must be an excellent team player and have the ability to coordinate project work across Quanta's editorial staff.
REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS
• Please submit a resume and cover letter describing your interest in this position
• This internship pays $18 to $22 per hour, depending on experience.
Quanta Magazine is an award-winning, editorially independent online publication launched by the Simons Foundation to enhance public understanding of science. Our reporters and editors focus on developments in mathematics, theoretical physics, theoretical computer science and the basic life sciences, with an emphasis on delivering timely, accurate, in-depth and well-crafted articles for our broad, discerning audience. In addition to many other awards and accolades, Quanta won the Pulitzer Prize in explanatory reporting in 2022 and a National Magazine Award for general excellence in 2020. Quanta has syndication partnerships with Wired , The Atlantic and other publications, has published two books ( Alice and Bob Meet the Wall of Fire and The Prime Number Conspiracy ) and our articles have been translated into several languages.
THE SIMONS FOUNDATION'S DIVERSITY COMMITMENT
Many of the greatest ideas and discoveries come from a diverse mix of minds, backgrounds and experiences, and we are committed to cultivating an inclusive work environment.The Simons Foundation actively seeks a diverse applicant pool and encourages candidates of all backgrounds to apply.We provide equal opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, age, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic disposition, neurodiversity, disability, veteran status, or any other protected category under federal, state and local law.