Career Development: Job Postings
Job type: Full-time Position
Location: Boston, MA
Position: Social Media Manager and Audience Engagement Specialist
Organization: Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health
Date posted: 11/16/22
Harvard Public Health, a magazine of ideas and insights for a healthier world, is seeking a creative, strategic, and versatile Social Media Manager and Audience Engagement Specialist.
The person in this position will play an important role in expanding the audience for our digital content. This includes creating content for social media; bolstering SEO for our articles with keyword research, metadata drafting, and internal links; and identifying and executing on opportunities to engage more directly with audiences on social media, for instance by hosting Twitter Spaces events. In addition, we will look to the person in this role to help identify and carry out opportunities to promote our content to relevant audiences in forums beyond social media, for example by pitching our stories to external newsletter writers or by writing content for our own Harvard Public Health newsletters.
Essential skills for this job include excellent writing acumen, rigorous attention to detail, flexibility, and a penchant for teamwork. We are a highly collaborative group with a startup mindset and a willingness to explore, experiment, and innovate. An ability to write snappy headlines is a definite plus.
Harvard Public Health is an independent journalism platform, published by the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health. With three print issues a year and a dynamic online presence, the publication is dedicated to changing the narrative of public health. We are currently active on Twitter, LinkedIn, and Instagram. We recently launched a newsletter distributed on LinkedIn, and we expect to launch an email newsletter in January.
The position reports to the magazine's Managing Editor and will also work closely with our Associate Director of Audience Engagement and our Senior Editor for Opinions & Newsletters.
Duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Create compelling social media content to showcase digital and print magazine content. This includes:
• Drafting text
• Leveraging graphic templates in Canva and working with graphic designers on original art
• Adding appropriate tags and alt text
• Scheduling content via Sprout Social
• Track social posts' performance in Sprout Social
• Identify and carry out opportunities to engage with audiences on social media
• Support execution of SEO strategies and content packaging laid out by our Associate Director, Audience Development, including keyword research, internal and external linking, metadata drafting, and headline A/B testing
• Promote content beyond social media, for instance by pitching our articles for inclusion in external newsletters
• Draft and package content for our own newsletters
PLEASE NOTE: This is a hybrid position and this position will be based in Boston, MA. Additional detail pertaining to this position will be discussed during the interview process. All remote work must be performed in a state in which Harvard is registered to do business (Connecticut, Massachusetts, Maryland, Maine, New Hampshire, New York, Rhode Island, Vermont, California (exempt staff only), Georgia, Illinois, New Jersey, Virginia, and Washington).
• Bachelor's Degree or equivalent experience is required
• 3 years related experience required
Additional Qualifications and Skills
The following job-specific skills and competencies are preferred:
• Experience creating content for social media across multiple channels, preferably for a news organization
• Excellent writer and outstanding proofreader, with strong attention to detail
• Strong relationship builder, able to network outside the magazine and identify new ideas for promoting content to relevant audiences
• Highly collaborative and able to thrive in a fast-paced, startup atmosphere
• Experience with WordPress, Sprout Social, Canva, Adobe Creative Suite, and Yoast preferred
• Familiarity with public health content a plus
The following cultural competencies are also preferred:
• Awareness of and aptitude to appropriately and effectively understand, respect, and adapt to cultural and identity-based difference within group environments
• Knowledge of and commitment to concepts and issues tied to social justice, diversity, equity, and inclusion
• Skills related to creating and supporting an environment that allows for inclusion, effective intercultural engagement, and personal humility and authenticity
Commitment to Equity, Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging
At the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health, we believe that diversity is integral to the Harvard experience and our mission of improving public health education, research and policy. Diversity of cultural backgrounds, identities, lived experiences, perspectives, and ways of understanding the world enriches our community and enables us to best meet the public health needs of the United States and the world. Ongoing learning and development related to diversity allows for both individual and institutional growth, and is necessary to foster and sustain a culture of inclusion. To achieve this, we are committed to ensuring equitable access to opportunities for learning, living, and working at the Harvard Chan School. We maintain an unwavering dedication to diversity, inclusion, and belonging as core to our institutional values and to actively counter, minimize, and address racism, sexism, xenophobia, homophobia, gender bias, and all forms of discrimination.
Learn more about the School's mission, objectives, and core values and our diversity, inclusion, and belonging initiatives.
USA - MA - Boston
Office of Communications
55 - Hvd Union Cler & Tech Workers
Commitment to Equity, Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging
Harvard University views equity, diversity, inclusion, and belonging as the pathway to achieving inclusive excellence and fostering a campus culture where everyone can thrive. We strive to create a community that draws upon the widest possible pool of talent to unify excellence and diversity while fully embracing individuals from varied backgrounds, cultures, races, identities, life experiences, perspectives, beliefs, and values.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.