Career Development: Job Postings
Job type: Full-time Position
Location: Boston, MA
Position: STAT - Medical Devices Reporter
Organization: Boston Globe Media Partners
Date posted: 11/16/22
In November 2015, STAT was launched as a new national media brand focused on health, medicine, and life sciences. Since then, we have grown to be the authoritative and trustworthy news media source for tough-minded coverage of the business of making medicines, health tech, science, and public health. We produce daily news, investigative articles, and narrative projects in addition to multimedia features, podcasts, and opinion pieces. Our team of editors and reporters have won numerous journalism awards, including being named as a 2021 Pulitzer finalist. STAT is affiliated with Boston Globe Media Partners but is independent from The Boston Globe.
STAT is seeking an enterprising reporter to pioneer a new beat covering medical devices, an area that is ripe for ambitious reporting. This reporter's mission will be to make our coverage of medical devices a must-read for STAT's audience, working closely with our team of technology reporters. We aren't looking for a reporter who wants to cover every device rollout, fundraising round, or incremental update to health care policy. This reporter should be keen to dive into the big stories: the mistakes that forced massive recalls, the shoddy oversight that leads to patient harm, and the billion-dollar acquisitions that go belly-up.
What You’ll Do
- Tell smart, important stories on the multi-billion dollar medical devices industry, with an emphasis on how business and regulatory practices impact patient care. This reporter will scrutinize prominent medical device makers and their products, probe gaps in oversight and evidence, and illuminate how financial incentives influence industry practices.
- Be key player on a top-notch team producing deep and vital reporting of technology in health care, and collaborate closely with STAT’s business and policy reporters.
- There are exciting opportunities for this reporter’s work to intersect with STAT’s ongoing coverage of AI in health care, lobbying, regulation, and more.
- Contribute to STAT’s health tech newsletter, and play a role in helping organize and moderate at STAT events.
Who You Are
- A versatile writer with experience in health care or business reporting. Experience covering medical devices is a plus.
- Prepared to dive in on a wide range of stories. This reporter will pursue ambitious and impactful investigations and features, but should also expect to write breaking news and news analysis on the medical devices beat.
- Passionate about pursuing scoops, and eager to plant a flag. This reporter will help to launch a new line of reporting at STAT, and can expect to play an important part in shaping our coverage strategy. This role will report to STAT’s health tech editor.
- A self-starter when it comes to coming up with story ideas and generating ways into them, but also collaborative in nature. STAT thrives on a tight-knit, all-hands-on-deck culture and a strong team dynamic.
- Committed to journalistic excellence.
The minimum salary for this position is $80,000. We offer a competitive benefits package, including health insurance, a 401k plan, generous vacation, parental leave, and more. We also provide Care.com back-up care and have numerous wellness offerings, including free access to HeadSpace for all full time employees.
The STAT office is located in downtown Boston, nearby Faneuil Hall and Quincy Market, and is easily accessible by MBTA and commuter rail lines. We have colleagues in the organization that come into the office on a regular basis and colleagues that are based in various cities throughout the US. For this role, we will consider candidates who are based anywhere in the United States.
Please apply at the link below: