2010 Influenza Workshop for Journalists
08/23/10 - 08/24/10 Atlanta, GA
AHCJ has sponsored 14 journalists to take part in a two-day workshop at the CDC about covering influenza.
The workshop includes a series of on-the-record sessions with CDC experts to prepare front-line journalists for the upcoming flu season. Public health experts are providing a primer on the flu, examine how it is being tracked, expectations for vaccines and antivirals, and what communities can do to deal with the fallout. See the agenda.
The AHCJ-sponsored journalists are:
- Diane Chun , health and science writer, The Gainesville (Fla.) Sun
- Tom Corwin, science and medicine reporter, The Augusta (Ga.) Chronicle
- Dawn Davis, writer, Caribbean Today
- Dana Felty, features reporter, Savannah (Ga.) Morning News
- Karen Garloch, medical writer, The Charlotte (N.C.) Observer
- Joe Goldeen, health-care reporter, The (Stockton, Calif.) Record
- Nina Hemphill Reedern, health and fitness editor, Upscale Magazine
- Sandy Kleffman, health care reporter, Contra Costa Times/Bay Area News
- Valerie Lego, health reporter, WZZM-Grand Rapids, Mich.
- Andy Miller, independent journalist, Atlanta
- Sonia Morgan, assistant editor, CN Media
- Shanderia Posey, healthscene editor, The (Jackson, Miss.) Clarion-Ledger
- Cynthia Roby, journalist, South Florida Times
- Olivier Uyttebrouck , health/general assignment reporter, Albuquerque Journal/Albuquerque Publishing Co.
Stories based on the CDC visit:
- Flu shot season has arrived and this year, just one shot is needed; Sandy Kleffman, Contra Costa Times
- Flu vaccine no longer just for “high risk” groups, Dana Clark Felty, Savannah (Ga.) Morning News
- CDC: Flu vaccine development needs to improve | H3N2 flu virus targets seniors, Valerie Lego, health reporter, WZZM-Grand Rapids, Mich.
- H1N1 shot proved safe, Tom Corwin, The Augusta (Ga.) Chronicle
- Flu vaccine advised for all older than 6 months, Tom Corwin, The Augusta (Ga.) Chronicle
- CDC reviews, prepares for flu season, Tom Corwin, The Augusta (Ga.) Chronicle
- Older Folks Are At Risk This Year for Flu, By Olivier Uyttebrouck, Albuquerque Journal
- Onset of flu season prompts vaccine push, Joe Goldeen, The (Stockton, Calif.) Record
- CDC wants flu shots for all, working toward universal vaccin e (pages 17 and 18), Sonja Morgan, Carribean Today